Monday 19 March 2012

Dyno run and KAS Racepaint (Batch Three)


So after all of this time – over two years – the penultimate weekend has been and gone. Back to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday is testing. What can I say? I’m excited, nervous and happy to be finally on my Race Scooter. I’m looking forward to meeting a few new people and putting a name to a face with others. This season is certainly looking already very exciting and is going to be very special to me.

The wet tyres were built midweek incase Mallory Park testing turns out to be a wet day.

 
Anyhow, back to the bike and despite not having many pictures to show, a lot of finishing off has been done. On Saturday afternoon, the bike was taken over to Replay Scooters and given a dyno run. As has become the norm with these posts though, and so I’m told with Lambrettas, things didn’t go quite to plan.

For a start, we quickly realised that we didn’t have a racing spark plug in the engine, which caused a bit of misfiring. When a racing plug was fitted, whilst it was clearing, the engine backfired, through the carburettor, into the face of an observer – me. It gave me the fright of my life.

After diagnostics on the dyno, we found out that we had an electrical issue, which turned out to be the stator. On the next run, the bike appeared to run out of fuel; it transpired that the spark plug had also broken. One new plug later and we got a few good runs. The results told us that we needed to adjust the carburetion.

Overall, I was positive with the results though. She sounds fit and didn’t fall to bits! After what transpired to be a long time there, we left in high spirits to do some final tinkering.

On the Sunday, I received KAS Racepaint Batch 3 which was the final parts. They look excellent. They make my temporary paintwork look a lot less professional than I hoped – not surprising though. They are so shiny that you can see your reflection in them!





Throughout the rest of the day though, floorboards were firmly attached, paintwork finished and a ton of small things that annoyed me were addressed.

“Pictures of the finished Scooter?” I hear you asking. Come to Mallory Park, visit the fast scooter forum or visit the Race Scooter blog on Thursday to see how we get on.

Big thankyou to the tuner.
Good luck to racers.
Cheers to the supporters.

Race Scooter: All events occurred 17th March 2012 to 18th March 2012

2 comments:

  1. How amazing is that shine? Better than my bathroom mirror. Good luck on Thursday Elliot but above all enjoy the moment as you really have earned it - such hard and dedicated work by you and your Dad. I know everyone is very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great read EJ and I have learnt so much about your project I am almost tempted to ...... maybe not! I am inspired by your enthusiasm, tenacity and determination for making a dream become a reality. I am very proud of you and will be there in spirit with you on the day (Thursday). Your commitment to your dream will be your reward to make your dream come true. Love you, Mum x

    ReplyDelete