Sunday 13 May 2012

Race Scooter: Finishing touches

With the majority of items on my list neatly ticked off from last weekend, I very much hit the ground running into my last two preparation days. However, to make a change from the normal, almost everything to do was cosmetic. I find these last steps so rewarding and to treat myself for the Version 1.1 upgrade, I borrowed a much better camera than I have become accustomed to using. Luckily, I got a few nice snaps to share on the blog and here is one of them as a little teaser.


As usual, during the week, I did a couple of odds and sods whilst I wasn't with the race scooter. Firstly, I hand cut my numbers to fit on the side-panels. I got the hang of it in the end but I can certainly see why vinyl cutters were invented. Lastly, I received a batch of "inkjet printable vinyl". This allowed me to form small stickers for application. It was perfect for the labelling on the bike and the logos on the rear panel give it a professional look.


Although there has been so many small 5 minute jobs done this weekend, I don't think that I'll be able to say them any better than the photos show. So louvres attached, floorboards modified and rubbers finished, I began having some fun with the camera.






In other business, after looking at the ignition timing again, I adjusted it slightly and retimed it. The only thing outstanding is a Carburettor manifold and I'm waiting for it to arrive in the post. The exhaust has been on and off a few times so it was re-siliconed and I probably managed to knock off a few decibels - which is good with Cadwell Park as the next meeting as they have a strict noise limit.

As is the usual for my blog posts, a list of thanks. Firstly to Will, my housemate, who cautiously lent me his camera. Next has to be to the neighbours who stood the bike being started a number of times over the weekend. And as usual, thanks to the family for support. Looking forward to Cadwell Park next weekend and celebrating my 21st Birthday in the way I want to - on the race track.

Race Scooter: All events occurred 12th May 2012 to 13th May 2012

2 comments:

  1. Well Elliot, if that's not the best looking Race Scoot I have ever seen I don't know what is and I should know having seen many on the track pass at silly speeds. What a birthday treat you're in for. You will never forget what you did on your 21st Birthday - Podium Finish? Good luck Buddy, you do deserve it. Steve D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well MLP, not too long now! A special birthday and a special race day riding on your swish looking bike. The bike looks fabulous and I am sure she(?) will not let you down with her(?) performance. You have put in a lot of effort to get to this final stage. I know it is what you really wanted to do on your birthday and will deffo be a day to remember for you and your supporters! I know you are looking forward to the day as I am too, not only to see you race again but to see you smiling like a cheshire cat! Good Luck, have fun and savour the thrill. Love you lots, Mum x

    ReplyDelete